As you have read the last post about What is SEO? where we have a short description of what is on page SEO? now here let us discuss in deep about On Page SEO.
|What is On-Page SEO?|
Before we start let us index the items include in on page SEO:
- Website Title, Domain name, Description
- Website pages and headings
- Unique Content and images used
- Broken Links and backlinks
- Competition analysis and keyword research
- Meta keywords, description, and Language
- Sitemap HTML, XML and Robot txt file
- webmaster and google analytics
- W3C Validation
- Limitation of using the above things
Lets us start this topic with initial point and then we will go forward as the flow goes just as same as web designing.
1. Website Title, Domain name, and Description: As you might have seen when you search for something on google and you find the same title you were looking for and with a simple to remember domain name with a short but knowledgeable description as shown below
|Website Title, Domain name, and Description|
If you are using Blog or SEO or Google AdWords tool then you will get a direct access for choose title your domain and a short but good description. If not then you will have to change this in your Head part of HTML for your web page.
Having a good relevant title makes the Search engine to show the result on top and visitor also get attracted to this when they find what they were searching for. Then the domain name, while choosing the domain name you must research on keywords that are related with your website content and have the most search on google but less competition then choose a short and easy domain name. Now the description must be short enough and good to understand that why a user should visit your website. This process is followed for every page of your website in head part because your every page must be listed on google so it becomes a landing page for those who were searching for the same.
2. Website Pages and Headings: A website has some compulsory pages like home, about us, contact us, services etc. and other pages are supplementary so Every page you add must have a uniquely attractive and relevant title and Heading encoded as H1 in coding, as it will be for google bots to understand this text is main on this page. Heading subheading and minor heading are some types that you can use but do not use more than one H1 tag as it might be considered as spam or stuffing by that bots. In that case, you can use H2, H3 and other I will suggest using bold text which is also scan and considered by users and Google bots also.
3. Unique Content and Images Used: As we seen importance of using title and heading and their limit, it is also important to have non copied content in your website, as Google has lots of data stored and it is also programmed to scan how much unique content you are posting, which is measured in plagiarism and it is necessary to have unique content to avoid website content stuffing. Having unique relevant content make assurance to Google to list you above those who just copy the content and post in their website. The user also likes to read unique and different than that they have already read somewhere else, and copying content from somewhere else website and pasting in your may also cause an increase in users bounce rate, which is not good for your website ranking. Same for images used while posting some text that image must have a relevant caption, alt text and image title which shows this image is related to this text. Refer image below
|Image related to content with a proper caption|
4. Broken Links and Back Links: Up to now we have seen about text and images now lets move to links in your website, for example, pages link, social media links, any external video or image used or any reference backlink etc. whatever you use links in your website that link should open when clicked or it must redirect somewhere. If not then it is considered as a broken link and again this is not good for ranking your website. If so happens then your website must have a relevant page showing the content as “404 error sorry this link is not available”. refer given an image for more understanding.
|example for 404 page not found an image|
This was about broken links but, when you use some live links but are redirected somewhere maybe with some intention or by mistake then it is necessary to define the nature of that link as No follow or Do follow, that is while Google bot scan your website and they find that link then bot will follow that link if there is Do follow instruction is given or no instruction is given considering that link is relevant to your website, and will not follow if there is No follow instruction is provided with that link. See images given below.
|Do follow and No follow HTML coding|
|Do follow and No follow Google Bot|
Having too much do follow links cause link stuffing in your website and is not preferred by Google for website ranking in search result.
5. Competition Analysis and Keyword Research: Now moving towards to competitor website analysis and Keyword research to add in Meta tags. Search what services you are going to provide and visit those websites have appeared on the first page as a customer point of view. Notice analyze and note down how they have put their services and what you can improve in your website. Write down those keywords used by them and research on them like how much time that keyword is searched or how much competition is for that keyword and choose those keywords having more search and less competition to appear in top results (Use Google AdWords Keyword Planner tool for analyzing keywords).
|Using the Google Keyword Planner Tool|
6. Meta Keywords, Description and Language: Now make a new list of analyzed keywords and put them in Meta Keywords present in Head section of page code, with this you also need to add keyword description in Meta description part as shown in the figure. This is very little thing but one of most importance that you must define your website language in head part that you are using which kind of language in the entire website, see image for more understanding.
|Meta Tags and Website Language|
7. Sitemap HTML, XML and Robot.txt file: Sitemap is a term which defines how big your website is or simple way to learn what is your website is. As your user is able to access any web page you include on your website by just using HTML sitemap. And by using XML sitemap Google bot is able to access your web pages. An XML sitemap is important as it is to be submitted to google directory for listing your website. Robot.txt file is used in case if you want to stop google bot from crawling or searching and listing some of your web pages on the search page. There are many websites available who provide you in creating your website XML sitemap with free of charge.
8. Webmaster and Google Analytics: Webmaster or recently known as search Console, is a Google tool used for listing your website using your Google account and analyze how your website is performing by listing it on another Google tool called Google Analytics. These both tools help in tracking your website performance, you just need to add your domain name to this tools and then verify your website just putting a code provided into the HTML code of your website. We will discuss more on this topic later in the next post.
9. W3C Validation: This is like an HTML Code analyzer, that will find out how good and safe your website is just Google W3C validation and generate your score for it. If possible then you can change your code as per instructions are given by W3C website or you can use it as it is if you think your website is performing well than good.
10. Limitation of Using above Things: As we have learned something and near about everything about On page SEO but now to avoid stuffing and spamming so that your website should not get blacklisted by an overdose of On Page SEO note this table and follow it.